Scores and parts should be on 8 1/2" x 11" paper; this may necessitate combining parts on the score.
- Grade 1 - Bb, Eb
- Grade 2 - Bb, Eb, F, Ab
- Grade 3 - Bb, Eb, Ab, F, C
- Grade 1 - whole, dotted half, half, quarter, eighth
- Grade 2 - as above, plus sixteenth and dotted eighth/sixteenth
- Grade 3 - within reason
- Avoid awkward leaps
- Use cues where needed, especially on solos
- Percussion technique can generally be more advanced than winds
- Low voices tend to be weak in many young bands. At the grade 1 level, all low voices should be written on unison lines at the octave.
Please call or write if you are interested in our Instrumentation and Range Guidelines for each grade level. Thank you!